Advertisement - Hide this advert

: Kneecap popping  ( 267 )

Rice1971

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • : 10
  • : 0
Kneecap popping
« : December 29, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Hi, I am over three years post op for implanted graft to back of kneecap and two years post op for tibial osteotomy to protect graft following pain. Over last three weeks knee has swelled to double its normal size with obvious side effects. (Following foolish bowling session!!) Now swelling has subsided, but.... when bend knee past 90 degrees, it will not straighten as it sticks when I try to straighten leg. If forced a loud very painful click occurs and it will then straighten. Not ideal an Iím concerned Iím causing more damage every time I bend my leg to even sit. Pain also evident in medial side which I also had trimmed 4 years ago. Should I seek medical advice as all is clearly not well? And thoughts on what it may be? :'(

Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • : 3854
  • : 272
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Kneecap popping
« #1 : December 29, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
You've answered your own question, yes of course seek medical attention, either go see the surgeon who did the op (if still practising) or another knee surgeon. Could be the arthrtis behind the knee or something like a meniscus tear (you say you had the medical side trimmed, the meniscus or the bone cartilage tidied up?) if you had meniscus removed 4 years ago, it's entirely possible there's now arthritic changes where the meniscus was. The swelling could be arthritis, meniscus or something else entirely like a ligament issue

In the meantime RICE :)

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Rice1971

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • : 10
  • : 0
« #2 : December 29, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
Thanks
More suspicious it could be failure of chronograph patch on back of patella!!

Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • : 3854
  • : 272
  • Neelie knee!
« #3 : December 29, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
Yes it could be that too, repairs to the back of the kneecap have a lower success /higher failure rate than other parts of the knee due to the shearing forces when the knee is bent and straightened

Get examined and an MRI
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

support