Advertisement - Hide this advert

: Stumbled days after ACL allograft  ( 202 )

Soccersera

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • : 4
  • : 0
Stumbled days after ACL allograft
« : December 31, 2017, 06:20:45 PM »
Hi all. Iím recovering from ACL surgery with allograft that occurred 5 days ago (12/26/17). Yesterday (4 Days post-op) I was walking up the stairs using both crutches (probably my first mistake) and then lost my balance with two steps (one stair plus the landing) remaining. As I fell, I first caught myself and pushed up on my operative (left) leg on the second-to-last step, before coming to land on my good (right) leg. My wife caught me so I didnít tumble forward, although by then I had fully recovered my balance. Since then I have felt an odd ďclickingĒ sensation below my kneecap. The closest I can liken it to is a patellar tracking problem athletes sometimes get (which Iíve had before). It only happens when I bear partial weight on the operative leg and then push off. There is not much more pain than normal, just some soreness. Of course now Iím terrified that I ruined the graft and the office wonít be open until Tuesday due to New Yearís Day on Monday. Is it likely that I tore my graft? Is that sensation Iíve reported something thatís part of the normal healing process?

I can offer more information if necessary. Thanks for any and all responses to this situation!
ACL Reconstruction with Allograft 12/26/17
Hopefully only positive stuff to add beyond that!

Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • : 3854
  • : 272
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Stumbled days after ACL allograft
« #1 : December 31, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
Seems a common concern after any reconstruction. You'd need to twist with a similar force to the initial injury to retear if it's been fixed correctly. Rest up, ice, elevate (not with pillow below knee though, only under calf and ankle as you don't want to restrict extension

The most vulnerable period is actually 6-12 weeks I believe, so be extra careful. Follow your surgeon and PT instructions to the letter when the time comes

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Soccersera

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« #2 : December 31, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

The initial injury happened playing soccer. Felt my knee slip twice when trying to pivot (non-contact) and then after playing for 30 more mins I had contact and twist that resulted in my knee making the unfortunate loud ďsnap, crackle, and popĒ characteristic of the blown ACL. My meniscus was fine and I had some additional strains to my PCL and MCL, but nothing that wouldnít repair itself with time. After resting for a week or so, I was able to use the elliptical at the gym and eventually the stationary bike.

Iím reporting all this because based on what you said about needing the same ďintensityĒ of injury to ruin the graft, Iím assuming that the little stumble up the stairs is quite minimal when compared to my original injury. At least I hope so lol

Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • : 3854
  • : 272
  • Neelie knee!
« #3 : December 31, 2017, 06:51:16 PM »
I should think so. Does it feel unstable when walking (assuming you're partial weight bearing)?

There might be something useful in here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/learning-portfolio
« : December 31, 2017, 06:57:03 PM Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Soccersera

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« #4 : December 31, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »
Nothing feels unstable. Itís just that clicking or shifting sensation that gets me worried. I can still bear weight on it (full weight accidentally sometimes when I forget to put down my crutches when brushing my teeth or getting up from a chair) and my flexion is better (i can place both feet side-by-side on the floor when sitting on a chair). Again, in my paranoid head the extra flexion came from the fact that I ruined things.

I think itís because I really have no clue what to expect and because I have a tendency to try and tough things out that Iím so fearful of causing more damage.

carlos12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • : 6
« #5 : December 31, 2017, 07:02:27 PM »
Hope all is good Soccersera!

I got mine (autograft) on 12/21/2017, so I'm going through similar situations now. I don't know much about this, but I guess having gone through the anxiety of surgery makes us worry more than we should! Anyways, I hope your graft Is fine!

Soccersera

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« #6 : December 31, 2017, 07:11:59 PM »
Absolutely carlos12. The anxiety of the entire process leading up to the surgery sucked, and now itís just as tough to be level-headed during the recovery. I hope all is fine with you and your recovery as well. Just donít take unnecessary risks and listen to your body the entire time!