Advertisement - Hide this advert

: Subchondroplasty  ( 33 )

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • : 1
  • : 0
« : January 08, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
G'day mates,

It's been awhile since I have been here--But I thought I'd add something on a subject that doesn't seem to have alot of "press"

The drilling into ones bone to help heal an edema-Interesting thought.  ; )

Short history lesson...Too many years of running (25+), marathons, Triathialons, plus skiing since I was 2 "killed" my knees....Few surgeries (Micro-fracture, etc) led to a HTO (High Tibial Osteotomy) and ACI (Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation) back in 2012 (I am no longer running, but still extremely active skier). I waited too long to have major work done on my L hip (finally had total replacement May 2017), but because of this my R knee began to act up again.
Saw my ACI Dr in MSP (Dr. McCarty-FANTASTIC GUY !!) in Sept (17), and did xrays, he said the margins look good, just needed soem "tweaking".
Went to my Dr. in PDX (OHSU-where I live) Dr. Crawford, after an MRI suggested the "Sub" route for me, saying they have had good success.
Had the surgery Dec 28th 2017--went excellent, Dr. was happy with results--HOWEVER, I made a horrific mistake... I DID NOT do the "Nerve block/Catheter" route, instead going for the local (major mix up in communication), so instead of 3 days of pain relief I had 10 hrs.. and after the 10 hours I operated at a 8-9 pain level for the next 3 days (Mind you I have an extremely high pain tolerance).
I am at day 10 now..feel like I am at 60-70% of "normal"..Still icing, still on "some" pain meds (only do Hydro's at night) and doing daily PT.

Mind you, they DRILL INTO LIVE BONE, so to "expect" this won't hurt is foolish, and it takes awhile for inflamed bone to "settle down"... I am anticipating going back to skiing at the 4 week point (I am a Professional Ski Patrol and spend 120+ days a year on my skies -(Timberline, Mt. Hood, OR has year round skiing).

Feel free to drop me a note with any questions. Will continue to update in the next few