Test Add

: Microfracture and soccer  ( 17 )

malouf21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • : 1
  • : 0
Microfracture and soccer
« : January 08, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
Hello, this is my first time writing here and i would really appreciate hearing some advice, getting help or reading experiences related to my issue.

i play soccer for my college and i got tackled and damaged articular cartilage in my knee. i had a microfracture surgery on my left knee about 4 mouths ago (august 2017). the first 3 months were rough as i was still feeling the same pain as before surgery, but closer to 4 moths post op most of the pain went away.

i decided to start doing light jogs which felt good. my physio told me i can start sprinting and so i did. i felt pain while sprinting but it was nothing like before surgery. two weeks ago i decided to play a little bit of soccer and just kick the ball around with some friends. during this time i started feeling more pain in the microfracture area which i think was because of sharp turns and movements. the pain has gone down but it is still there. i usually get ultrasound therapy which helps with the pain but my next physio therapy appointment is in one month.

i am really afraid that i have messed up the surgery.

can anyone tell me if they have experienced something similar?
can i get a cortisone shot or something to make the pain go away once and for all ?
how would i know if fibrocartilage has grown all over the defect ?
how sure can i be that i will be pain free and able to play again ?

i have been really down and upset, soccer is basically my life and i haven't been able to play for almost a year now. i would appreciate any help. Thank you.

BarefootPilgrim

• Regular Poster
  • : 56
  • : 3
Re: Microfracture and soccer
« #1 : January 09, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

I am no expert on cartilage damage sadly, but my instinct would be to say that returning to soccer 4 months after a surgery seems a bit early - were you cleared to play by your physio/orthopedic surgeon?

I would definitely consult with them before playing again. Before your physio appointment, try to take it easy - rest, ice if it helps with the pain, no high impact sports etc.

Ask your doctors their opinions on when you can return to playing soccer! Try to remain positive and definitely be patient, I know how frustrating and depressing it is not to be able to play the sport you love so much.

Hope you feel better soon!